Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Being told what to do?


My breakfast this morning was muesli, yoghurt, blueberries and a few walnuts. Yum!!

I just read something profound (for me) in a post called (translated from Norwegian) "Experts who say: You Must!" in a Norwegian blog called "Big man going down". This blog is written by a man who has lost an extraordinary amount of weight.

Roughly translated it says that it is better that a doctor says "if you stay the same weight you will likely die before you are 50" rather than saying "you need to loose weight". The first option is leaving me to make my own conclusions and choose if I want to make a change or not - so it is much more self motivating. The second option is just telling me something I have to do - which straight away will (for me - I don't like being told what to do) bring to the front all the reasons why I can't right now/it is too hard/etc etc, and make me detest it all....

Making my own conclusion and deciding what to do means I have to take ownership of the decision - which means I am much more likely to follow through with it.
I do need to loose weight. I am in the danger zone for developing diabetes type 2, and apparently my back will be better if I loose weight. Often I find it all so overwhelming, but after reading Nevyn's comment on my last post "Sabotage" I decided last night I would make one goal for today - to go for my little walk in the morning. And I did!

2 comments:

  1. For a moment there I freaked. I was wondering if I'd put one or both feet in my big mouth.

    Good for you. I think about going for a walk every morning, then I go straight back to bed for an hour or 2 ;-) (in my defense, my first wake up call is anywhere between 5 and 6am

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! Sorry I made you freak. I was inspired by your comment to just do one thing. One thing is soooo much better than nothing!

    Ah, see - 5-6am is just too early :-)
    My walk today was later, around 9, since I am working from home today. But it was starting to get hot (expecting 40 today).... I think 9 is too late in summer. It is supposed to cool down this afternoon so I will aim to get another walk in so I can get my 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete